- About Head
The goal of the Saudi Biobank is to increase the quality of patient care and accelerate the impact of research on such care. It will implement the highest standards of biological banking to provide outstanding clinical, medical, demographical, and analytical data.
The Saudi Biobank is designed as a longitudinal investigation of demographical and environmental factors influencing illnesses in Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Biobank’s objective is to implement the highest standards of biological banking as it is vital for building genomic/proteomics databases.
These databases will increase the quality of healthcare by creating a link between lifestyle, environment, and clinical practice. The biological samples at the Saudi Biobank will include buffy coat, serum, urine and tissues.
The Saudi Bio-bank team is targeting 200,000 individuals and diseased subjects for fluid and solid body tissue samples, while DNA/RNA reservoir capacity is 1.8 million matrix tubes for genetic diseases seen in day-to-day clinical practice. The Saudi Biobank has launched a complete automated DNA banking system that carries out a full robotic extraction of DNA from blood, followed by banking the samples at -20˚C. The retrieval of the samples is also auto-programmed by the LIMS system.
Fellowship of the American School Health Association (FASHA), October 2000
Doctoral Degree of Public Health (Family Health) High Institute of Public Health, Alexandria University, 1987
Diploma of Child Health, Glasgow, 1996
Master Degree of Public Health (Family Health) High Institute of Public Health, Alexandria University, 1983
MB, Ch.N. Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, 1978
Head – Biobanking Section – King Abdullah International Research Center
Chairman – Retrospective Research Sub Committee – KAIMRC
Chair, Research Council of American School Health Association (ASHA)
W.H.O. Temporary Advisor in Damascus, Syria -Sept 2007
W.H.O. Temporary Advisory in Vancouver, Canada – June 2007
W.H.O. Short Term Consultant in Muscat, Oman – April 2007
W.H.O. Short Term Consultant in Kabul, Afghanistan – December 2006
Professor of Family Health, High Institute of Public Health, Alexandria University, 1998 – Present
W.H.O. Temporary Advisor in Sana’a, Yemen – December 2005
W.H.O. Short Term Consultant in Muscat, Oman – April-May 2002
Family & Community Medicine
- Pilot phase III of the Saudi Biobanking project(School cohort project in Iskan)
- Pattern of Trauma Injuries and Predictors of Survival in Patients Admitted to a Tertiary Care Setting in Central Saudi Arabia
- Assessment of institutional Capacity Readiness of Primary Health Care Centers to integrate Non-Communicable Diseases Prevention and Control Strategies at National Guard Health Affair, Saudi Arabia
- Pattern of use and perception towards smart phones and its health-related applications among health care providers at King Abdulaziz Medical City,Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Prevalence and determinants of spousal violence and women’s empowerment attending outpatient clinics of the primary health care centers at the National Guard Health Affairs in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Predictors of Quality of Life and Glycemic Control Among Saudi Adults with Diabetes
- Nursing Perception Towards Impact of JCI Accreditation and Quality of Care in a Tertiary Care Hospital, Central Saudi Arabia
- Prospective study of incidence and predictors of peripheral intravenous catheter-induced complications
- Alanazi, M. Q., Al-Jeraisy, M. I., & Salam, M. (2016). Severity scores and their associated factors among orally poisoned toddlers: a cross sectional single poison center study. BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology. DOI 10.1186/s40360-015-0044-7.
- Alanazi, M. Q., Al-Jeraisy, M. I., Al-Assiri, M.H., Afesh, L., Alhammad, F. & Salam, M. (2016). Hospital Performance Indicators and Their Associated Factors in Acute Child Poisoning at a Single Poison Center, Central Saudi Arabia. DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000002339.
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, Ala’a A. BaniMustafa, Aisha A. Mahfouz, Mohammed H. Al-Assiri, Amal F. Al-Juhani, Ahmed S. Alaskar. Using the health belief model to predict breast self examination among Saudi women. BMC Public Health2015, 15:1163. doi:10.1186/s12889-015-2510-y.
- Abolfotouh SM, Mahmoud K, Faraj K, Moammer G, ElSayed A,Abolfotouh MA. Prevalence, Consequences and Predictors of Low Back Pain among Nurses in a Tertiary Care Setting. Int Orthop.2015 Jul 19.
- Sherif M Abolfotouh, Ahmed Z Ebrahim, Mostafa A. Abolfotouh. Awareness and predictors of female genital mutilation/cutting among young health advocates. Int J women’s Health, 2015
- Alanazi, M. Q., Al-Jeraisy, M. I., & Salam, M. (2015). Prevalence and predictors of antibiotic prescription errors in an emergency department, Central Saudi Arabia. Drug, Healthcare and Patient Safety, 7, 103.
- Alanazi, M. Q., Al-Jeraisy, M. I., & Salam, M. (2015). Comparative outcome analysis of home-initiated non-medical interventions among toddlers with orally ingested substances. Italian journal of pediatrics, 41(1), 1-9.
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh. Child and adolescent growth and development – Practical guide for primary health care workers and pediatricians (Book Review). Saudi Journal of Obesity. 06/2014; 2(2):73.
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, et al. Prospective study of incidence and predictors of peripheral intravenous catheter-induced complications. Therapeutics and clinical risk management. 2015:11 1-9.
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, Mohammed H Al-Assiri, Manar Al-Omani, Alwaleed Al Johar, Abdulaziz Al Hakbani, Ahmed S Alaskar. Public awareness of blood donation in central Saudi Arabia. Int J Gen Med 2014:7, 401-410.
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh et al. Nursing perception towards impact of JCI accreditation and quality of health care in a tertiary care hospital, Central Saudi Arabia. Int J Med. & Med Sci. ISSN:5731, Vol 7, issue 1, pp.1435-1442.
- Mohammed A Al Rowaily, Fahad A Alsalem, Mostafa A Abolfotouh. Cesarean section in a high-parity community in Saudi Arabia: clinical indications and obstetric outcomes. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth2014, 14:92 doi:10.1186/1471-2393-14-92
- Abolfotouh, M. Al Dosari, N. Sayed, H. Banna and M. Abolfotouh, “Incidence and Predictors of Complications of Acute Achilles Tendon Rupture Repair at Hamad General Hospital, Doha, Qatar,” Surgical Science, Vol. 5 No. 2, 2014, pp. 46-52. doi: 10.4236/ss.2014.52011.
- NR Sheblaq, S Traifi, M Al Sakiani, A Gasmelseed, MA Abolfotouh, AR Jazieh. Awareness and attitude of cancer patients about participation in clinical research (CR) in Saudi Arabia. J Clin Oncol 31, 2013 (suppl; abstr e17528)
- Mostafa Abolfotouh ( Editorial ). Should schools be responsible for childhood obesity prevention?. Saudi Journal of Obesity | Volume 1 , Issue 2, Jul-Dec 2013, DOI:10.4103/2347-2618.128622
- Abolfotouh MA, Al Saleh S, Mahfouz AA, Abolfotouh SM, Al Fozan HM. Attitudes of Saudi Nursing Students on AIDS and Predictors of Willingness to Provide Care for Patients in central Saudi Arabia: A Cross sectional Study. International Journal of Nursing 2(1), 2013.
- Abolfotouh MA, Abulkhair O, Sbitan SE, Ahmad F, Al-Muammar MN (2013) Case-control Study of Breast Cancer and Dietary Fat Intake in Saudi Females. J Womens Health, Issues Care 2:5. doi:10.4172/2325-9795.1000116
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, Mahmoud Salam, Deema Alturaif , Wijdan Suliman , Noran A Al-Essa, Hadeel Al-Issa, Mohamed A. AlRowaily. Predictors of Quality of Life and Glycemic Control Among Saudi Adults with Diabetes. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, 2013 ISSN:2051-5731, Vol.46, Issue.4 1360
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, Omalkhair Abulkhair, Suha E. Sbitan, Fasih Ahmad, May N. Al-Muammar. Quantitative and Qualitative Dietary Fat Intake and Breast Cancer Risk in Saudi Females. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, ISSN:2051-5731, Vol.46, Issue.3.
- Mostafa A Abolfotouh, Omalkhair Abulkhair, Suha E. Sbitan, Fasih Ahmad, May N. Al-Muammar. Dietary fat intake, serum estrogen level and obesity as risk factors of breast cancer in Saudi females: A case-control study. British J Medicine and Medical Research.3(3): 698-709, 2013
- Mostafa A Abolfotouh, Abdullah A Alabdrabalnabi, Rehab B Albacker,Umar A Al-Jughaiman, Samar N Hassan. Knowledge, attitude, and practices of infertility among Saudi couples. International Journal of General Medicine 2013:6 563–573
- Mohamed Khedhiri, Abdallah A. Adlan, Mostafa A Abolfotouh. Informed Consent in Clinical Care: Models of Patients’ Satisfaction and Attitude Based on General Trust and Risks Disclosure. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, ISSN: 2051-5731, Vol.46, Issue.2
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, Samar A. Al Saleh, Aisha A. Mahfouz, Sherif M. Abolfotouh and Haya M. Al Fozan. Attitudes of Saudi Nursing Students on AIDS and Predictors of Willingness to Provide Care for Patients in central Saudi Arabia. SAGE Open 2013 . DOI: 10.1177/2158244013499163
- Abolfotouh MA, Aladlan AA. Quality of informed consent for invasive procedures in central Saudi Arabia. Int J Gen Med. March 2012 Volume2012:5 Pages 269-275 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/IJGM.S29599
- Abolfotouh MA, Al-Khowailed MS, Suliman WE, Al-Turaif DA, Al-Bluwi E, Al-Kahtani Quality of life in patients with skin diseases in central Saudi Arabia. Int J Gen Med. 2012:5 633–642
- Siham H. Shoukry, Samia G. Saad, Ayman M. Eltemsahi and Mostafa A. Abolfotouh. Awareness, Attitude, and Concerns of Workers and Stakeholders of an Environmental Organization toward the environment. SAGE Open 2012, 2:, DOI: 10.1177/2158244012462223
- Ahmed Al Rumayyan, Mostafa Abolfotouh. Prevalence and prediction of abnormal CT scan in pediatric patients presenting with a first seizure. Neuroscience Neurosciences 2012; Vol. 17 (4):352-6.
- Ivo Zemek , Khalid Sofi , Mostafa A. Abolfotouh. Validity Of Clinical Parameters In Prediction Of Outcome For Orthotopic Liver Transplant The Internet Journal of Anesthesiology. 2012 Volume 30 Number 3.
- Mohammed A. Al-Rowaily, Abdulrahman I. AlFayez, Mohammed S. Al Jomiey, Adil M. AlBadr, Mostafa A. Abolfotouh. Hearing Impairments among Saudi Preschool Children. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology (8/2012). DOI:10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.08.004
- Mostafa A Abolfotouh, Ibrahim A Al-Alwan, Mohammed A Al-Rowaily. Prevalence of metabolic abnormalities and association with obesity among Saudi college students. Int J Hypert., Decemcer 2012. Article ID 819726, 8 pages. Doi:10.1155/2012/819726.
- Mostafa Abolfotouh Essentials of School Health and Educational Medicine, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (December 27, 2011). ISBN 978-3-8473-2805-6
- Siham H Shoukry, Samia G Saad, Sherif M Abolfotouh, Ayman M Eltemsahi, Mostafa A Abolfotouh. Integrated Environmental Management in Wastewater Sector as an approach to Sustainable Development: Case Study. Journal of Chemica Acta, Vol 1, No.1, (2012). 22-31
- Al-Mendalawi MD, Abolfotouh M. Recurrent visits and admissions of children with asthma in central Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J. 2011 Feb;32(2):201-2.
- Abolfotouh MA, et al. Quality-of Life and Glycemic control of adolescents with type 1 diabetes and impact of an education intervention. Int J Gen Med 2011:4 141–152.
- Mohajer KA, Al-Yami SM, Al- Jeraisy MI, Abolfotouh MA. Antibiotic prescribing in a pediatric emergency setting in central Saudi Arabia. Saudi Medical Journal 2011; 32(2):197-98.
- Al-Jumah M, Abolfotouh MA. Public Perception and Attitude towards Organ/tissue Donation. Biopreservation and Biobanking 2011;9(1):21-27.
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh , Sunny A. Sallam, Mohammed S. Mohammed, Amany A Loutfy, Ali A. Hasab. Prevalence of elevated blood pressure and association with obesity in Egyptian school adolescents. Int J Hyper Volume 2011, Article ID 952537, 8 pages doi:10.4061/2011/952537
- Al-Jumah M, Abolfotouh M, Alabdulkareem I, Balkhy H, Al-Jeraisy M, Al-Swaid A, Al-Musaeed E, Al-Knawy B. Public attitude towards biomedical research at outpatient clinics of King Abdulaziz Medical City – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. East Mediterranean Health Journal. 2011 ; 17 (6): 536-545.
- Abolfotouh MA, et al. Risk factors of diabetic foot in central Saudi Arabia: Case-control study. Saudi Med J 2011;32(7):710-715.
- Al-Jeraisy MI, Alanazi MQ, Abolfotouh MA. Medication Prescribing Errors In a Pediatric Inpatient Tertiary Care Setting – Saudi Arabia. BMC Research Notes. 2011, 4:294
- Mawaldi, C, Gupta, H. Bakhsh, M. Saadeh, M. Abolfotouh. Validity of ultrasound in patients with acute pelvic pain related to suspected ovarian torsion. Surgical science.2011;2 (.6):326-330 DOI: 10.4236/ss.2011.26069
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, Laila A. Soliman, Sameh M Abolfotouh, Mohamed Raafat. Knowledge and practice of PHC physicians toward the detection and management of hypertension and other CVD risk factors in Egypt. Int J Hypert. 2011 doi:10.4061/2011/983869
- Ghassan A. Shaath, MD, Mansour Al-Mutairi, MD, Omar Al-Tamimi, MD, Fahad Al-Habshan, MD, Mostafa AbolFotouh, MD. Predictors for re-intervention in neonates with pulmonary atresia or severe pulmonary stenosis with intact ventricular septum. Journal of the Saudi Heart Association 2010; 22 ( 2): 85-6.
- Ghassan A. Shaath, Omar Al-Tamimi, Ali AlAkhfash, , Mostafa Abolfotouh, Mansour Al-Mutairi, Fahad Al Habshan. Predictors of Re-intervention in Neonates with Critical Pulmonary Stenosis or Pulmonary Atresia with Intact Ventricular Septum. Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions Volume 79, Issue 4, pages 659–664, 1 March 2012: official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions. 09/2011; DOI: 10.1002/ccd.23320
- Mawaldi, C, Gupta, H. Bakhsh, M. Saadeh, M. Abolfotouh. Diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound in suspected ovarian torsion. Urogynaecologia International Journal (UIJ) 2011;25 (1): 54-6.
- Rowaily M, Abolfotouh MA. Predictors of gestational diabetes mellitus in a highparity community in Saudi Arabia. East Mediterranean Health Journal, WHO.2010;16(6):636-41.
- Balkhy H, Abolfotouh M, Al-Hathlool R, Al-Jumah M. Awareness, attitudes, and practices related to the swine influenza pandemic among the Saudi public. BMC Infectious Diseases 2010, 10
- Sami M. Al-Yami, Khalid A. Mohajer ,Majed Al-Jeraisy , Ahmed M. Batarfi, Mostafa Abolfotouh. Recurrent visits and admissions of children with asthma in Central Saudi Arabia. Saudi Medical Journal 2010;31(8):179-82.
- Mostafa A. Abolfotouh, Mohamed D. El-Bourgy, Amira G. Seif El Din, Azza A. Mehanna. Corporal punishment : Mothers’ disciplinary behavior and child’s psychological profile in Alexandria city, Egypt. Journal of Forensic Nursing 2009; 5(1): 5–17.
- Kwok-Cho Tang, Don Nutbeam, Carmen Aldinger, Lawrence St Leger, Donald Bundy, Anna Maria Hoffmann, Ekua Yankah, Doug McCall, Goof Buijs, Said Arnaout, Sofialeticia Morales , Faye Robinson, Charuaypon Torranin, Lesley Drake, Mostafa Abolfotouh, Cheryl Vince Whitman, Sergio Meresman, , Cossa Odete, Abdul-Halim Joukhadar, Claire Avison, Cream Wright, Franscico Huerta, Davison Munodawafa, David Nyamwaya, Karen Heckert,. Schools for Health, Education and Development: A Call for Action. Health Promot. Int., Vol. 24, No. 1. (1 March 2009), pp. 68-77 Epub 2008 Nov 27.