- About Head
The Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics focuses on research and development of computational and analytical methods essential for conducting state of the art biomedical research. The department’s researchers have diverse expertise that includes biostatistics, mathematical modeling, protein modeling, next generation omics analysis and genetic analysis.
In addition to the research and development of novel statistical and bioinformatics methods/tools, we are involved in large collaborative initiatives that cover several disease areas including diabetes and obesity, cancer, heat stress, genetic diseases and infectious diseases.
The department’s researchers work mainly through collaboration on research projects that are aligned with KAIMRC strategic initiatives. However, the department also has an outreach program that is designed to provide general statistical advice as well as systematic educational seminars, courses and workshops to clinical researchers.
Ph.D. Dept. of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics School of Public health University of Louisville, “A Bayesian Model for Polytomous Ordinal Misdiagnosed Data”
MSPH. Dept. of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics School of public health University of Louisville, “Management of Colorectal Liver Metastases: A Decision Analysis Perspective”
MSCS. Computer Eng. & Computer Science School of Engineering University of Louisville
Chairman, Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, King Abdullah International Medical Research Center, 2010- Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, 2010 – Present
Principal, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Pricing and Market Access, Management consulting, IMS Health, 2007- 2010
Director, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Pricing and Market Access, Management consulting, IMS Health
Associate Director, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, ValueMedics Research LLC, 2005- 2007
Principal Biostatistician, Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research Center, Innovation Center, Humana Inc. 2003- 2005
Research Assistant, Department of Bioinformatics and Biostatistics, School of Public Health and Information Sciences, University of Louisville, 2000- 2003
Marketing Research Analyst, Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Inc. (Currently part of Sanofi Aventis), 1997-2000
Stochastic Modeling (i.e. Markov Modeling and Discrete Time Event Modeling).
Decision trees, cost effectiveness and net benefit analyses.
Generalized Linear Models (GLM).
Micro Array Analysis.
Generalized Estimating Equation (GEE).
Sampling techniques and analyzing survey data.
Data imputation and Missing Values.
Analysis of highly skewed distributions (i.e. cost and utilization data)
- Patterns of Treatment Response in Refractory and Relapse Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP) : A Retrospective Cohort Study
- The effect of 18 gram Fat Diet in Comparison to a Fasting State on Bioavailability of Ribavirin in Patients Chronically Infected with Hepatitis-C Virus
- Prediction of Colorectal Cancer
- Adherence to Routine Medical Screening practices among health care professionals at King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Concordance between actual and HCT-CI predicted 5 years overall survival among patient diagnosed with Hematological Malignancies in MNGHA, Riyadh
- Public Awareness of Dehydration Symptoms and preventive measures in Central Region, Saudi Arabia
- Prevalence of Paternal Post-Partum Depression in Central Region, Saudi Arabia
- Outcomes of delayed transfer of critically ill pediatric patients from pediatric emergency department to the pediatric intensive care unit in King Abdulaziz Medical City, a retrospective cohort study
- Molecular and Cellular Mechinisms Underlying Reversal of Type 2 Diabetes following Bariatirc Surgery: Study using Proteomic and Genes Chip Analysis
- Gene Expression Profiling of Human Heat Stress: Effects of Aging and Gender
- Gabere MN, Noble WS Empirical comparison of web-based antimicrobial peptide prediction tools; Bioinformatics; 2017 February 15
- Marius Belmondo Tincho, Musa Nur Gabere and Ashley Pretorius; In Silico Identification and Molecular Validation of Putative Antimicrobial Peptides for HIV Therapy; Journal of AIDS & Clinical Research; 2016 August; 7(9):606
- Terrone G, Voisin N, Abdullah Alfaiz A, Cappuccio G, Vitiello G, Guex N, D’Amico A, James Barkovich A, Brunetti-Pierri N1, Del Giudice E, Reymond A.; De novo PIK3R2 variant causes polymicrogyria, corpus callosum hyperplasia and focal cortical dysplasia; European Journal of Human Genetics; 2016 August; 24(9):1359-62
- Mead Ruhaiyem, Dr. Nasser Tawfeeq, Dr. Adel Al Shehri, Maissa Saade, Talal Al Shoabi; Fear of Going Under General Anesthesia A Cross-sectional Study in Central Saudi Arabia; Saudi Journal of Anaesthesia; 2016 July; 10(3):317–321
- Alfaiz, A.A. , Muller, V., Boutry-Kryza, N., Ville, D., Guex, N., de Bellescize, J., Rivier, C., Labalme, A., des Portes. V., Edery. P., Till, M., Xenarios, I., Sanlaville, D., Lesca, G., Reymond, A; West syndrome caused by homozygous variant in the evolutionary conserved gene encoding the mitochondrial elongation factor GUF1; European Journal of Human Genetics; 2016 July ; 24(7):1001-8
- Gabere MN, Hussein MA, Aziz MA; Filtered selection coupled with support vector machine generate functionally relevant prediction model for colorectal cancer; OncoTargets and Therapy; 2016 June; 9:3313-3325
- Monray Edward Williams, Marius Tincho, Musa Gabere, Ashley Uys, Mervin Meyer, Ashley Pretorius; Molecular Validation of Putative Antimicrobial Peptides for Improved Human Immunodeficiency Virus Diagnostics via HIV Protein p24; Journal of AIDS & Clinical Research; 2016 May; 7(5)
- AlBuhairan F, Nasim M, Al Otaibi A, Shaheen NA, Al Jaser Sr. Al Alwan I; Health Related Quality of life and family impact of Type I Diabetes among adolescents in Saudi Arabia; International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR); 2016 April; 114: 173-9
- Kabbani MS, Ismail SR, Fatima A, Shafi R, Idris JA, Mehmood A, Singh RK, Elbarabry M, Hijazi O, Hussein MA; Urinary tract infection in children after cardiac surgery: Incidence, causes, risk factors and outcomes in a single-center study; Journal of Infection and Public Health; 2016 January; 9(5):600-10
- Mohammed Ratoubi Alanazi, Ahmed Alamry, Mohammed Hussein,Mansour Moklif Alanzi; Canonical correlation between safety culture and quality of healthcare in Saudi Arabia Global Advanced Research; Journal of Medicine and Medical Science; 2015 September; 4(9):402-407
- A. Al Jumah, M. Hussein, A. Al Khathaami, S. Kojan, L. Stovner, T. Steiner; The prevalence of primary headache disorders in Saudi Arabia; Journal of the Neurological Sciences; 2013 October; 333:e499
- Hisham Eldai , Sathish Periyasamy , Saeed Al Qarni, Maha Al Rodayyan, Sabeena Muhammed Mustafa, Ahmad Deeb, Ebthehal Al Sheikh, Mohammed Afzal Khan, Mishal Johani, Zeyad Yousef, Mohammad Azhar Aziz; Novel Genes Associated with Colorectal Cancer Are Revealed by High Resolution Cytogenetic Analysis in a Patient Specific Manner; PLoS ONE; 2013 October; 8(10):e76251
- Dore DD, Hussein M, Hoffman C, Pelletier EM, Smith DB, Seeger JD.; A Pooled Analysis of Exenatide Use and Risk of Acute Pancreatitis; Current Medical Research and Opinion; 2013 August; 29(12):1577-86
- Sanai F. M., Mousa3 D., Al-Mdani A., Al-Shoail G., Al-Ashgar H., Al Meshari K., Al-Qahtani A., Saadeh M., Bzeizi K. and Aleid H.; Safety and Efficacy of Peginterferon-α2a Plus Ribavirin Treatment in Renal Transplant Recipients with Chronic Hepatitis C; World journal of Gastroenterology 2013 June; 58(6):1096-103
- Fnais N. S., Al-Nasser M., Zamakshari M., AboZnadah W., Al-Dhukair S., AlQarni A., Saadeh M., Alshaeri T. M., Bokhari B. E. and Bin Ahmed A.; Prevalence of Harassment and Discrimination Among Residents In Saudi Hospitals; Annals of Saudi Medicine; 2013 March; 33(2): 134-9
- Al Alem NM, Al-Aklabi S; Saadee M, Al Amer K; Khan M.; The prevalence of Diverticular Disease In Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; World Journal of Medical Education and Research; 2012 August; V2, No 1:90
- Alselaim N, Malaekah H, Saade M, Hussein M, Altokhais T, Albedah K, Zamakhshary M.; Does obesity impact the pattern and outcome of trauma in children?; Pediatr Surgery; 2012 July; 47(7):1404-9
- Al Jumah M, Al Balwi M, Hussein M, Kojan S, Al Khathaami A, Al Fawaz M, Al Muzaini B, Jawhary A, Al Abdulkareem I; Association of SNPs rs6498169 and rs10984447 with multiple sclerosis in Saudi patients: A model of the usefulness of familial aggregates in identifying genetic linkage in a multifactorial disease; Multiple Sclerosis; 2012 April; 18(10):1395-400
- Wenten M, Gaebler JA, Hussein M, Pelletier EM, Smith DB, Girase P, Noel RA, Braun DK, Bloomgren GL.; Research: Treatment: Relative risk of acute pancreatitis in initiators of exenatide twice daily compared with other anti-diabetic medication: a follow-up study; Diabetic Medicine; 2012 March; 29(11):1412-8
- Alsaran K, Sabry A, Shaheen N.; Pegylated interferon alpha-2a for treatment of chronic HCV infection in hemodialysis patients: a single Saudi center experience;International Urology and Nephrology; 2011 September; 43(3):865-73
- Mawaldi L., Abu el fotouh M., Saadeh M.; Validity of ultrasound in patients with acute pelvic pain of suspected ovarian torsion; Surgical Science; 2011 August; Vol.2: 326-330
- Sanai F. M., Helmy A., Bzeizi K. I., Babatin M. A., Al-Qahtani A., Al-Ashgar H. A., Al-Mdani A. S., Al-AkwaaA., Almutharea S., Khan M. Q., Alghamdi A. S., Farah T., Al-Hamoudi W., Saadeh M.; Discriminant value of serum HBV DNA levels as predictors of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B; Journal of Viral Hepatitis; 2011 July; 18(7):e217-25
- Sanai F. M., Helmy A., Dale C., Al-Ashgar H., Abdo A. A., Katada K., AlMana , Saadeh M., Al-Hussaini H., AlQuaiz3 M., Hashem A., AlSwat K., Bzeizi K. I. and Marotta P. J.; Updated thresholds for alanine aminotransferase do not exclude significant histological disease in chronic hepatitis C; Liver International; 2011 May; 31(7):1039-46
- Fadia AlBuhairan; Mohamed Hussein; Trends in Adolescent Hospital Admissions in Saudi Arabia; Journal of Adolescent Health; 2011 February; 48(2):S40