- About Head
The Medical Research Core Facilities and Platforms serve the NGHA scientific community’s needs for reagents, assays, samples and data analysis to conduct its research. In addition, it provides training when necessary in advanced research platforms such as cellular imaging, confocal and electron microscopy, and more.
The function of the Medical Core Facility Department and Platforms is distinct from the role of the existing KAIMRC departments, and will endeavor to complement their work. KAIMRC’s Medical Research Core Facility and Platforms are working to provide NGHA scientists with customized research reagents, laboratory consumables, and laboratory spaces fully equipped with the latest scientific and technological platforms. This will enable the organization to conduct and excel in its medical research work in a safe and well-equipped environment and to complement the existing dedicated research sections and departments.
This section contains the Cell & Tissue Unit, the Biochemical & Molecular Biology Unit, the Drug Discovery and Development Section, Research Clinical Lab, and the Biostore. Each with its specific purpose and contribution to the resources of researchers.
1998 Bsc Biochemistry, University of Es-Senia, Algeria
1993 Ph.D. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, UK
2003 Business Management Diploma, University of California – San Diego, USA
1991 – 1993 Research Assistant, University of Leeds, UK
1993 – 1997 Postdoc, IGBMC, Strasbourg, France
1997 – 2000 Research Scientist, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
2000 – 2004 Associate Director, Incyte (Pfizer), San Diego, USA
2004 – 2012 Principle Investigator, GSK,UK
2012 – Present Head of Core Facilities, KAIMRC, Riyadh, KSA
Biomedical Research Techniques
Scientist and Ph.D Students Supervision
- RNA Preparation from PBMC for cDNA Array Studies
- Stdying VDR Polymorphism in HID Displacement Inherited Disease
- Testing Liposome Loaded Nanaparticles-Drug in Cytotosity Test
- Studying Clock in Leukemia Patients
- Screening Small Molecules in PBMC from Leukemia Patients Pilot Study
- Studying PIM1 and 2 Function
- Cell Culture Facility
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology Lab
- Lentivirus and Baculovirus Generation Lab
- RNA and DNA Lab: QPCR, PCR, Automatic DNA/DNA Analyzer
- Microscopy Suite (Fluorescence, Confocal, Etc)
- Cell Life Imaging
- Flow Cytometry
- High Speed Centrifuges
- Disease Expertise
- Drug Discovery (screening, small molecules, assay development, lentivirus based siRNA)
- Plate readers: Fluorescence, FRET, Luminescence etc.
- Disease specific assay: Reporters, Colony Formation, Primary Cell Culture, Stable Cell Line generations etc.
- El-Boubbou K, Ali R, Bahhari HM, AlSaad KO, Nehdi A, Boudjelal M, Alkushi A. Magnetic Fluorescent Nanoformulation for Intracellular Drug Delivery to Human Breast Cancer, Primary Tumors and Tumor Biopsies: Beyond Targeting Expectations. BioConjug Chem. 2016 Jun 15;27(6):1471-83. doi: 10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.6b00257 PMID:27269304
- Ali R, Trump S, Lehmann I, Hanke T. Live cell imaging of the intracellular compartmentalization of the contaminate benzo[a]pyrene. J Biophotonics. 2015 May 8;(5):361-71 doi: 10.1002/jbio.201300170. Epub 2014 Apr 3.
- Nehdi A, Sean P, Linares I, Colina R, Jaramillo M, Alain T. Deficiency in either 4E-BP1 or 4E-BP2 augments innate antiviral immune responses. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 22;9(12):e114854. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0114854 PMID: 25531441 Free PMC Article
- Jill Skepner, Radha Ramesh, Mark Trocha, Darby Schimdt, Erkan Baloglu, Mercedes Lobera, Thaddeus Carlson, Jonathan Hill, Lisa A. Orband-Miller, Ashley Barnes, Mohamed Boudjelal, Mark Sundrud, Shomir Ghosh and Jianfei Yang. Pharmacologic Inhibition of RORγt Regulates Th17 Signature Gene Expression and Suppresses Cutaneous Inflammation In Vivo. J Immunol 2014; 192:2564-2575. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1302190. Epub 2014 Feb 10. PMID:24516202
- Ryan P. Trump, Stefano Bresciani, Anthony W.J Cooper, James P. Tellam, Justyna Wojno, John Blaikley, Lisa A. Orband-Miller, Jennifer A. Kashatus, Mohamed Boudjelal, Helen C. Dawson, Andrew Loudon, David Ray, Daniel Grant, Stuart N. Farrow, Timothy M. Willson and Nicholas C.O. Tomkinson. Optimized Chemical Probes for REV-ERBα. J Med Chem. 2013 Jun, 56(11) pp 4729-4737. DOI: 10.1021/jm400458q. Publication date(web): May 8, 2013
- Bellet MM, Nakahata Y, Boudjelal M, Watts E, Mossakowsa DE, Edwards KA, Cervantes M, Astarita G, Loh C, Ellis JL, Vlasuk GP, Sassone-Corsi P. Pharmacological modulation of circadian rhythms by synthetic activators of the deactylase SIRT1. ProcNatl Acad Sci USA 2013 Feb 26; 110(9):3333-8. Doi:10.1073/pnas.1214266110.Epub 2013 Jan 22. PMID:23341587 PMCID: PMC3587185