- About Head
The Medical Research Core Facility and Platforms comprises of the following units, the Cell & Tissue Culture Unit, Biochemical & Molecular Biology Unit, Drug Discovery, Development & Clinical Research Unit and Light & Electron Microscopy Unit, MA spectroscopy Unit. Each unit has specific purpose and contribution to the resources of researchers.
Dr. Boudjelal is the Chairman of Medical Research Core Facilities and Platforms and Director of Drug Discovery Program at King Abdullah International Medical Research Center (KAIMRC), Ministry of National Guard Health Affairs. Prior Joining KAIMRC, Dr BOUDJELAL was a group leader – Senior Investigator at GlaxoSmithKline. He also held a position as an Associate Director for preclinical drug discovery in Incyte (Pfizer) pharmaceutical, and worked as a Scientist in Institute of Genetic and Molecular and Cellular Biology, Strasbourg, France, and as a senior research associate (permanent position) at the University of Michigan, USA. He holds a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from University of Leeds, UK, and a degree in International Business and vocal education from University of California in San Diego. He is recipient of several awards for scientific research excellence, and founder of Algerian Competences Association and The International Science Edit For the Developing World.
- Drug Discovery
- Antibody drug conjugate for cancer and immune-inflammation.
- Small molecules for MERS-COV
- Small molecules for Cancer therapy
- Cancer Research
- Screening Natural products as anticancer for leukemia and breast cancer
- Establishing new immortalized cell lines from patient samples and studying mechanism of action of known drugs.
- Role of Molecular Clock in cancer progression
- Rare Diseases Research
- Discovery mechanism of action of certain genes involved in rare diseases
- Discovery of Metabolomics and Proteomic changes in rare diseases
- Discovery of novel biomarkers for early delectation
1 – FULLY FURNISHED OPEN RESEARCH LAB
The KAIMRC Research Core Facility provides fully furnished biomedical research laboratories and bench spaces for researchers working at MNGHA, KSAU-HS, KAIMRC or any affiliated or associated scientists from other institutions to conduct their work. The open laboratories also provide space to store their samples and archive paper works and files.
Access to these laboratories is easy through a simple booking process.
- Equipped with the latest state of the art research Platforms
- Experts in biomedical research to analyze and interpret your data
- Diseases Experts
- Highly skillful technologists to execute your requests
2 – CELL CULTURE
The unit is fully equipped and resourced with supplies to support all the mammalian cell culture and analysis.
- Primary and cell lines culture
- Stem cell differentiations
- Stable cell line generation
- PBMC isolation
3 – FLOW CYTOMETRY: BD FACS CANTO II
Cell sorting The MoFlo – Beckman COULTER Cell
Sorter provides state of the art flow cytometry technology, services, sort and isolation of individualized cells for further study.
4 – LENTIVIRUS AND RETRO-VIRUS GENERATION
Lentiviral and retroviral vector is a powerful tool for delivering target genes into almost all types of dividing and non-dividing mammalian cells in vitro and in vivo. However, production of recombinant retro and lentiviral vector is laborious and challenging, especially when high titer of recombinant viruses is required. Core lab provides KAIMRC researchers with flexible and best quality lentiviral vector production services, from construct design to target-cells transduction.
5 – MOLECULAR AND MICROBIOLOGY
The molecular biology lab provide researchers with different techniques such as DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, PCR-RFLP, Gel Electrophoresis, qPCR, DNA/RNA Bioanalyzer and western Blot. The molecular biology laboratory supports scientists in various types of work.
6 – DRUG LIKE MOLECULE SYNTHESIS, DRUG SCREENING AND IN VITRO TESTING
Drug discovery scientists need to generate robust screening data as rapidly as possible to meet aggressive development timelines. Core lab has the capacity and expertise to help maximize your library screening efforts. After screening, selected hits will be confirmed individually in separate experiments, and then followed with in-vitro dose response studies to define the pharmacological properties (IC50, Hillslope, span, etc) of the selected compounds.
7 – DRUG SYNTHESIS
- Preclinical drug synthesis, characterization and optimization drug like small molecules
- Generation of drug like molecule libraries
- Structural activity relationship (SAR) in drug like molecule
- Structure and ligand based drug design (SBDD and LBDD)
Future scientist and students are mentored in the art of drug discovery through a KAIMRC/ACADEMIA/INDUSTRY COLLABORATION to train Saudi scientist and students in art of drug discovery.
8 – BIOMAGING
The Core Lab Bio-Imaging facility of the KAIMRC is offering state-of-the-art imaging technologies such as wide-field and fluorescence confocal laser scanning microscopy, Live cell Imaging, high content imaging (HCI), laser capture micro dissection system, SEM and TEM.
The main aim is to provide KAIMRC researchers with a workflow of highly sophisticated methods and approaches to visualize and quantify molecular events taking place within the cellular environment.
- Zeiss Laser Capture Micro Dissection system equipped with PALM Micro Tweezers
- EVOS FL Auto imaging System
- High Content imaging: image Express Micro
- Zeiss cLSM 780 System
- JEOL JEM 1400 Transmission Electron Microscope
- NovaNanoSEM 450 Scanning Electron Microscope
- Nikon TIRF System
- Mass Spectrometry Unit
The unit is equipped with state of the art liquid chromatography (LC) and mass spectrometry (MS) that provide users with full services including proteins, metabolites, small molecules identification and quantification. Our unit contains low and high resolution mass spectrometers that have the ability to provide users with accurate identification and quantification. The unit has different types of MS instrumentation such as MALDI-TOF/TOF and LC-ESI-MS/MS
9 – IMMUNOLOGY: BIOPLEXING
Bioplexing Cytokines profiles using automated Bioplex, QPCR etc.
10 – ENZYMOLOGY, PROTEIN BIOCHEMISTRY, EXPRESSION AND PURIFICATION
Equipped lab for protein biochemistry that include western blot, Protein-Simple and protein expression and purification and activity testing.