- Research Projects
- Contact Details
Research at KAIMRC Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine Department (KSCRMD)
Cells are susceptible to malfunctioning or damage as a result of aging, injuries and diseases. Researchers at KAIMRC stem cells and regenerative medicine department (KSCRMD) are working to understand the functions of stem cells and development of diseases. Therefore, the aim is to develop therapies for diseases. Basically, we aim to restore normal function by repairing or replacing damaged or malfunctioning cells and tissues/ organs in patients suffer from diseases such as cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular, immunological, and neurological diseases.
Research at KSCRMD is bringing great advances in science, technology, health and medicine. These advances hold potential for improving approaches of disease diagnosis, prevention and the development of innovative therapies for diseases. Research at KSCRMD aims to exploit the remarkable potential that stem cells offer in advancing human health.
KAIMRC stem cell research program has a great potential to benefit us in the management of many diseases and also to improve health care in Saudi Arabia. Through stem cell research, the general public will understand the development of human body from specific and specialized stem cells and will understand the actual process that takes place from a single stem cell to an enormous group of specialized cells that allow humans to function normally.
Current stem cell research at KSCRMD will educate the general public about the development of human diseases and their treatment. This will provide the general public with more effective therapies to treat many diseases such as multiple sclerosis, atherosclerosis and cancer. Through research and knowledge about the development of normal stem cells, we can better learn how to correct the mistakes that lead to the development of such diseases.
In Saudi Arabia, there is increasing number of patients who suffer from multiple sclerosis, atherosclerosis and cancer. Therefore, our stem cell research has the potential to save many lives by preventing and treating the changes occurring during the development of these diseases. In addition, KAIMRC stem cell research will also have the potential for medical therapies by forming cells and tissues. Currently, there is increasing number of patients who are waiting for organ donation and these patients may die while waiting for an organ transplant. Therefore, KAIMRC stem cell research will provide a good source for cell replacement to treat diseases and can also possibly decrease the morbidity and mortality for those patients waiting for organ transplants.
The current stem cell research at KSCRMD will attract the world leading stem cell scientists with an outstanding research record and innovation in the field of stem cells. Stem cell research at KSCRMD is structured along several different research programs that aim to drive discoveries from the laboratory bench to the clinic. Each program focuses on a different organ system including blood, pancreas, liver, heart, and nervous system.
KSCRMD is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, which will speed up the development of stem cell based therapies. We have world class facilities for carrying out cell culture, flow cytometry, microscopy, histology, molecular biology and animal studies. These facilities allow our scientists to conduct research that spans the spectrum from basic to advanced, specialized, clinical research.
By combining the expertise of leading stem cell scientists and the use of state-of-the art-technologies, we are confident that we will offer a truthfully distinctive and influential method to form a viable platform for the development of stem cell research and stem cell based therapy in Saudi Arabia.
KSCRMD Stem Cell Research Program
Our research focuses on developing new therapies for major, chronic human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular, neurological, immunological, and liver diseases. Our research program promotes active interaction between basic stem cell scientists and clinicians at KAIMRC and those at the King Abdulaziz Medical City.
- Isolating, characterizing and studying the therapeutic applications of stem cells derived from human adult tissues including placenta, umbilical cord blood and tissue, adipose tissue, hair follicles, bone marrow, and dental pulp;
- Studying multipotent stem cell differentiation into a variety of cell types including hepatocytes, neurons and insulin secreting cells;
- Developing bioengineered scaffolds to grow new tissues from stem cells;
- Investigating the interaction between stem cells and cancer cells;
- Determining the feasibility of human stem cells in modulating the immunopathogenic processes that underlie multiple sclerosis;
- Exploring the therapeutic potential of stem cells in liver fibrosis and in atherosclerosis
- Identifying new stem cell markers with potential therapeutic application such as antitumor, anti-fibrotic, anti-atherosclerotic markers.
- Study the effects of Human Placental Mesenchymal Stem Cells (pMSCs) on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) Cells In Vitro
- Study the Effectiveness of Human Placental Mesenchymal Stem Cells (pMSCs) in Modulating the Immunopathogenesis Process in Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis (EAE)
- Study the Characteristic of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells in an Atherosclerotic Plaque using Preeclamptic Placenta as a Model of Atherosclerosis
- Head: Dr. Mohammed Abumaree
- Extension: (84) 95584/ (84) 95504