- Research Projects
- Contact Details
Developmental Medicine Department (DMD) is part of the King Abdullah International Medical Research Center (KAIMRC), National Guard Health Affairs (MNG-HA), Riyadh. The DMD, which was established in 2014, is a research-based laboratory that studies the genetic developmental abnormalities. Our multidisciplinary research team is working in collaboration with well-recognized researchers, physicians from National Guard Hospital and from other national and international academic institutes.
The DMD endeavors to understand the complex biology of the genetic diseases that have devastating effects on many Saudi families, with an ultimate goal of finding solutions and developing interventions and therapies. It contains three major laboratories including:
- Brain Genome Lab (BGL)
Brain Disorders are a major focus of our studies because of their prevalence in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East. The overall goal is to map and identify the genes involved in these disorders.
- Birth Defects Lab (BDL)
The birth defects lab will address a broad spectrum of birth defects since the prevalence of birth defects in Saudi Arabia is higher than anywhere else in the world
- Therapy Developmental Lab (TDL)
The therapy development lab is intended to take what is learned in the Brain and Birth Defects labs and begin converting the discoveries into improved treatments and prevention tools.
Developmental Medicine Department (DMD) aims to integrate different fields of science, in order to translate basic scientific research into better diagnostics and improved therapy strategies, which will strive to provide opportunities for personalized medicine and disease prevention. Our goal is to use scientific expertise and high research standards to positively affect our community and the worldwide population.
- Therapy Development Research KACST-KAIMRC Joint program
- Center of Excellence in Biomedicine (BWH-KACST)
- Saudi Human Genome Project Satellite Lab
- Genetic Analysis in Patients with Non-syndromic Congenital Heart defects
- Genetic Architecture of Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) in Saudi Families with Multiple Affected Siblings. IRB approved.
- Impact of Genetic Variations on Thrombotic Risk of Sickle Cell Disease in Saudi Arabia.
- Prevalence of exposure to pharmacogenetic drugs by the Saudis in the National Guard Health Affairs.
- Preventative Genome medicine for inherited genetic disorder in Saudi Arabia
- The Estrogenic Potencies of Selected Herbal Medicines and Traditional Foods Commonly-Consumed among the Saudi Arabian Population:
- The Modulatory Effects of Selected Saudi Arabian Traditional Herbal Medicines on Human Metabolic Phase-I Cytochrome P-450 Enzymes Gene Expression.
- The use of non-toxic nanoparticles in breast cancer imaging; towards the design of nano-drug carriers
- Bio compatible nanoparticles for bio-imaging and delivery of anti-cancerous agents